Marriage, and/or raising children are not easy things, and it’s incredibly common to feel overwhelmed, at the end of your rope, and in need of assistance. Below you will find a number of resources that, we hope, will help ease some of the inevitable challenges you may be facing as a spouse and/or a parent.
General Family Resources
- Arlington Child & Family Services This site provides a wealth of information ranging from child care and behavioral healthcare concerns, to numerous parenting resources!
- Fairfax County Department of Family Services You can find a wealth of resources on topics ranging from child care and health care for children, to parenting and child supervision and parenting classes, and to domestic and sexual violence services, and shelters.
- Northern Virginia Family Services According to its website, “Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping more than 34,000 individuals and families find new paths to self-reliance and brighter futures every year.” The organization offers a number of programs, including intervention and prevention services, early childhood services, health and mental health services, and workforce development services!
- Stop Child Abuse Now of Northern Virginia SCAN provides a wide variety of parenting education and support programs, including the Parent Connection Resource Guide, a bi-annual publication of parenting programs offered throughout the Northern Virginia area.
- Do you feel as though you may be headed towards divorce, but aren’t quite there yet? Head over to Saving Marriage for a number of articles including suggestions for ways to work on maintaining and strengthening your marriage, and factors that you should consider before formally beginning the divorce process.
- Family Law in the 50 States Provides current lists of state laws concerning alimony, child support, child custody, and other related topics.
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia The Family Law portion of LSNV “prioritizes helping victims of domestic violence escape abusive relationships and works to preserve and reunify healthy families.”
- Northern Virginia Mediation Service Offering mediation services for a variety of individuals, NVMS’s work includes Mediate for Divorce, Separation and Co-Parenting. During these sessions, the individuals involved can “negotiate the terms of their divorce, separation or parenting plan in a cooperative, non-adversarial setting with minimal investment of time, money and emotional energy. Our certified and professional mediators are non-judgmental, non-biased and impartial. They will help facilitate communication between you and your current or previous spouse or partner and work towards resolutions that can be incorporated into your final agreement, consent order or divorce decree.”
- Looking for Support While Going Through a Divorce? You may be able to find someone to talk to though: Divorce Support Meetups in Fairfax, or Divorce & Co-Parenting Support Groups in Northern Virginia
*Please note that Gelber & Associates, PLLC does not necessarily endorse the services of any of the family and divorce resources listed above, but merely hopes to provide those in need with some information to help them!